Despite months of applying, I don’t have an internship this summer. I get it – the industry is tough right now, and I’m not the only journalism student in this boat.
So now what?
I’ve developed Plan B, which includes:
– Keeping my part-time job at the Online Nevada Encyclopedia and spending the summer developing online content (blogging, multimedia), helping Nevada Humanities establish a Web presence, etc.
– Continuing to freelance for the RGJ, where I interned last year
– Looking for freelance work in the area
– Possibly working for the High School Journalism Institute
– A couple summer classes
– Continuing to improve my audio/video editing skills, as well as teaching myself a few more programs
– Enjoying my final summer before my senior year of college
I refuse to let this lack of an internship get me down. I know everything happens for a reason, so I guess I’ll see where this all leads to.